The line was to open on 26th July 1841 but a land slip near Fareham caused a
delay and it was eventually opened on 29th November 1841. The first train was hauled from Nine Elms to Gosport by locomotive No 17 'Queen' ,which was new that year and the train consisted of four
First Class carriages, and it took 31/2 hours to complete the journey. However the line was closed only four days later because of a land slip in a tunnel north of Fareham, and reopened again on 7th
February 1842. The line cost £404,27I over £12,000 more than the original estimate. The station building itself was designed by William Tite (later Sir William] the celebrated designer of the Royal
Exchange in London. The station design is of an Italianate classic tradition, which was very popular at that time, and was finished with Tuscan columns with Corinthian capitals, it was built by Mr 0
Nicholson at a cost of £10,980, Fareham station only cost £l,3921.